Monday, March 26, 2012

Trayvon Martin

This is what I have to say about this tragedy: If I were told by law enforcement to stay put & I didn't & then some kid in a hoodie started throwing Skittles at me; I would just say "Thank you" because I really like Skittles.

Forgive me, but, I have to make light of this situation because if I think about it too hard; my head will fucking explode. The bottom line is this: Zimmerman was told not to follow. He followed anyway. Case closed. I liken this type of profiling to what I experienced post 9/11. I live in the DC metro area. At the time of 9/11 I was living in a high-rise apartment building which housed people of all nationalities. Alot of which were middle eastern. The day after 9/11, there was a posting in the lobby which stated that the residents of said building should report any persons that appeared "suspicious". WTF does that mean? As far as we knew at the time; the only "suspicious" thing the men that hijacked the planes did up to that point was be middle eastern. Was I suppose to report all my neighbors that were middle eastern? Anyway, I am a white woman in one of the most diverse cities in the world; but, if I were a black teenage male right now, I'd wear a tie & carry a briefcase every time I left the house just to feel safe. Every single day something happens that makes me say to myself, "Thank God I didn't have children because I fear for the state of the world". On February 26th, Trayvon being murdered was what made me think it that day.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?