Wednesday, September 03, 2008

So...

This morning I found myself at the US Post Office. I was mailing a package to my father from VA to SC. It was a small duffle bag and a T-shirt in an appropriate size box weighing, I don't know; a pound? I hand the package over, say, "Overnight, please.", and she says, "$28.75". I choked on my Hazelnut Latte and said, "WHHHATTT? How much for Priority?". "About 6 bucks."

Well, OK. That's about what I paid for my coffee. I'll take Priority. And he can get it the NEXT next day. Jesus!! I knew times were hard for the USPS; but WTF? I'm assuming the Overnight plane is different from the Priority plane in that it has sparkles on the wings. I'm also assuming they are still flying Priority packages. I'm ASSUMING they fly packages.

I am mail-stupid when it comes to USPS. I just recently started paying my bills by check. Through the mail. I use to pay on-line until all my utility companies started charging a service fee when you pay on-line. In the neighborhood of $5 a piece. $240 a year which is about twice the property tax on my car. I got kinda bitter when I realized that. That I had gotten so shallow when it comes to bill-paying. I was paying $5 a pop to have the luxury of hitting a few buttons to pay a bill as opposed to just sitting down and writing a check for virtually nothing. I mean, I get my checks for free. Stamps are 42 cents. And the process of writing a check is actually kinda cathartic.

______________________

Thank you for listening to me bitch.

______________________

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?