Sunday, July 06, 2008

Ya know, I was totally resolved when I put Simba down. She was old; she was sick. It was time. She never suffered; she didn't feel any pain. It broke my heart and I thought about just picking her up and running out the door with her when Dr. Kirk gave her the sedation shot. But, I didn't because I knew it was time for her to go.

I've had three weeks to be comfortable with my decision. And I am. And then I had to go pick up her ashes today. Something I've put off for a week. It was very weird. There was a woman in the lobby with this cute poodle. And I don't like poodles. I find them way too hyper and yippy. In either case, I had called ahead, so they were expecting me. When the owner of the annoying poodle realized what I was doing there, she started crying. Which made me cry when I really thought I wasn't going to.

In either case, I'm very happy with the way Del Ray handled Simba. I was given a beautiful mahogany box with her ashes enclosed. They also gave me a ceramic heart with her paw print on one side and her name on the other.

_________________

At the risk of sounding maudlin, I'm going to miss Simba-cat. She was a righteous girl. I rescued her from the animal shelter in St. Croix. I watched her snag a sugar bird mid-air with one paw and have it for dinner. Not my finest moment, but it was for her. She sat patiently in a dog carrier during two hurricanes with no complaints. She flew USAir to Baltimore with no complaints when I brought her to the States. And then proceeded to alternately love/hate me for making her an indoor-cat. During which time she slept in my face & made me wish for something better than Benadryl.

Godspeed, Simba....I'll meet you on the other side of the bridge.

peace

Comments:
This brought tears to an old fart.
:-(
Regards..
C.... :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?