Friday, July 04, 2008

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"

And so it goes with Southern storms. One minute you're walking your dog. The next; you're bargaining over some freaky red sequined shoes with some crazy chick named "Glenda" wearing a whole lot of pink taffeta. And then the Wicked Witch is all over your ass with the Monkey Brigade!

I grew up in South Carolina. And that's damn near what a true southern storm feels like. You're all safe and the sun is shining and then BAMMMMM! From out of nowhere; lightning up through your toes, thunderclap reverbs in your head & and sometimes hail the size of a quarter. For about 10 minutes. And then it's gone.

I joke about it now; but it was pretty scary when I was a kid. I remember my Dandy (grandfather) telling me to count from the time I saw the lightning to when I heard the thunder.
That would tell me how close it was. And then how far away. I still count in my head: "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi.."

And now that I think about it...at the time...being 5 years old....I didn't know who, what, or where Mississippi was. But, I knew where Kansas was. Because of Dorothy.

_______________

Strange, indeed....

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?