Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bad Manners

I consider it very bad manners when someone walks into my bar, sits down, and immediately makes a cell-phone call. Then, when I walk up to ask them what they would like; proceed to signal for me to wait until they finish their call. Like, stand Right There until they are done.

#1. If that call is all important; make it before you walk into the establishment.

#2. The other patrons really don't care to hear your one-sided conversation.

#3. You are not the only person in the room. I'm most certainly not going to just stand there at your direction ignoring other people until you finish your call.

Ya know; I remember the days when people were aware of what was going on around them. It constantly amazes me how self-absorbed people can be. I had to call down one of my vendors for yakking on his Nextel in the middle of my bar during lunch. He looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to take it outside. Nextel is the most fucking annoying thing ever invented.

I don't get the logic behind it. Is it a walkie-talkie posing as a phone? Or a phone posing as a walkie-talkie? Have we gotten so lazy that we need to have the option to hold something away from our ear at the risk of annoying everyone within hearing distance? As soon as I hear someone say, "10-4, Good Buddy!", I might go postal.

In the big picture; I don't think that cell phones have a place in a restaurant, bar, what have you. Put that Bitch on vibrate. And then take it outside if you need to answer the call. I'm sure it affects me more than most; because I hear it more than most. Everyone that works behind a bar is in the same predicament. Seriously. I don't want to hear you break up with your girlfriend, divorce your husband, fire your decorator, or even make a million dollar deal one-sided. It would be way more entertaining to me if the person on the other end was there in person. Then I could offer up Shots & Advice. Which I happen to be really good at.

____________

Kimberly has decided to turn her cell phone off tomorrow for 6 hours. Just to see what happens.

____________

Thanks for the vent....

peace

Comments:
the problem is that people can't deal with having time to themselves, so they always need some kind of constant interaction. maybe it's just me, but I like my alone time
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?