Friday, April 11, 2008

I remember...

being at Lower Richland High School. It was the late 70's. I remember being kind of pissed at one of my girlfriends. Because I thought she had said something bad about me. I confronted her; we worked it out. We're friends to this day. It NEVER occurred to me to bring in 7 of my other girlfriends to work out a plan to get her alone and beat the shit out of her.

You all know what I'm talking about. The crazy story out of Florida where these kids literally beat this poor girl unconscious. Because she bad-mouthed someone. They are now all being treated as adults with charges that range from kidnapping, false imprisonment, and assault.

One more time for me to say, "I am SO glad I didn't have children!". It's sad, but something happens almost every single day that makes me think that.

Being a bartender; I hear alot of stories. Alot of them pertain to kids and their stupid, stupid behavior. The majority of my regulars are people that are somewhat affluent. Their kids want for nothing. Go to the best schools (30 Thou a year for High School?? What??) , wear the best clothes, brand new BMW at 16. It boggles the mind. But yet, they do stupid shit like this. I haven't heard any stories that touch what happened in Florida; but the mob mentality is out there in other situations.

I wonder where things crossed the line. Used to, if a kid was bad, you could say, "Well, his dad's in prison, his mom is working three jobs and never at home." You could write it off as the kid just not having a good living environment. Noone to look up to. It's not like that now. It seems that the kids that are doing the worst things are the kids with the best opportunities.

I caught the tail end of the newscast today when the kids from Florida came in front of the judge. I seriously wanted to grab one of them, SHAKE them HARD and say, "What the FUCK are you doing??? DON'T YOU GET IT??"

I'm so happy I didn't have children.

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?