Monday, April 14, 2008

I am lame.

I know this because my neighbor insinuated it.

I live in a row house in an up-and-coming community. By "up-and-coming", I mean a community that was really Hot when it first opened (50's), fell to the derelicts, and in the last few years started being bought up by double-high-income-childless couples. Who went on to renovate their houses. Which, I guess, makes it very Diverse for right now. (I think there is a crack-house on the corner.) I'm lucky. I live in a renovated house surrounded for the most part by other renovated houses. (Not to confuse you; but, I am renting. My immediate neighbors own. My owner was smart to just renovate and charge me his mortgage.)

If you are familiar with a row house; you know that I have a wanna-be lawn out front. 10' x 10' of a really weird grass/weed mixture. I am responsible for keeping this area cut. To me, this little space does not scream, "Lawnmower!!". So, I got a Weed-Eater. Alot of people told me this was the way to go.

So, I'm out there today after work with my Weed-Eater. The neighbor to my left is watering his real grass. He interrupts my work and tells me to not hurt myself. I say OK. He interrupts me again to comment on how loud it is. I say I'm sorry. He interrupts AGAIN to ask me to just wait a couple days and he will mow my grass for me when he does his. I tell him that, although I think that is a very generous offer, it's not necessary. I can do it myself. He insists to the point that I say, "Ok. And Thank You!". He's going into his house, turns around, and says, "And by the way, that is a really lame way to cut your grass." (Did I mention that I don't know him that well yet?)

Now, I know the equipment I was using is really loud. But, it's only going to be for about 5 minutes. Once a month. And I really don't understand what he's offering up. Is he going to cut my grass FOREVER?

I'm sure it seems I'm being over-sensitive. It's one of those situations where you really had to be there. I've only lived here 5 months and I'll go ahead and say it: I want my neighbors to like me!! I don't want to be that girl that doesn't cut her grass! (Or, that girl that has a loud Weed-Eater.)

Please tell me that your day was more interesting...

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?