Saturday, December 10, 2005

It's been ages.....

I have really missed writing. When I first moved; I wasn't writing because I wasn't able to properly steal wireless. I quess I'm just not that savy. Then I wasn't writing because I didn't have the time to sign up for a legal connection. I kept meaning to. Then the worse that could possibly happen; happened. And I found myself needing to write more than ever.

I've started this particular sentence 10 times & I still don't know how to write it. My cousin was a Gunner on a Humvee in Iraq & her Humvee was blown up on Thanksgiving Day. She is the only survivor. The fact that she was the Gunner is what saved her because the Humvee was blown up from underneath & she was thrown off of it. I still can't write about all the details right now because it's just too hard. I still can't wrap my brain around it. Along with the rest of you; I have been watching this war play out for almost 3 years. Marissa is the only member of my family in the military. I haven't talked about her because I thought it would be bad luck. She was due home in January. I've been watching & reading about injured soldiers all this time & here it is in my face. And I can't even begin to describe to you how horrible this is for everyone that loves her. I can't begin to describe her condition other than to say that she is broken. She is a broken person. There are only two major bones in her body that aren't broken. Her left arm. She has lost the bottom part of her left leg & may lose her right from the knee down. Her right arm was broken in several places. Fortunately, she didn't suffer many internal injuries. Her liver was lacerated; but has started healing. Her lungs were badly bruised; but no punctures. She just started breathing on her own the last couple of days. Both shoulders are broken & have been pinned. She opened her eyes about a week ago; but she hasn't started talking. She will follow you around the room with her eyes. She will squeeze your hand; but not always on command. She still has alot of shrapnel in her body; so they can't do an MRI to assess brain damage.

I will write more; but it's just too much right now. Please say a prayer for Marissa.

For people familiar; PFC Marissa Strock @ Walter Reed. You know the drill.

At the risk of sounding cliche; tell everyone you love that you love them.

peace

Comments:
bless her and strength to her and her family for the long road to recovery. Too many kids hurt, gone.
 
Again, sorry to hear about that. I've been keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about this. You and Marissa and your family are in my prayers.

-K.
 
I hope Marissa makes it out alright. Please keep me posted on her condition...

-Mike
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?