Thursday, December 22, 2005

Home Sweet Home

I flew home to SC today to spend Christmas with my family. I am so freakin' happy to be here. I wasn't able to come home last year for the holidays because I had just started my present job. The travel was perfect. I showed up for my flight 1 1/2 hours early to see a long line at curb-check. Got through it in about 20 mins. Cursed myself for having worn lace up boots. They're a bitch to take off standing up. And a bitch to put back on because Our Nations' Capital airport only has 6 chairs on the other side of the Security Check. And my able-bodied self was not privy to any of them. Had time to hit Cinnabon & buy a book. Saw on the news this morning that today is the first day that it's OK to travel with scissors & thought about throwing a pair into my carry-on just to see what may happen. Quickly nixed that idea given my past air travel experiences.

My Dad & Sister, Paige, met me at the airport & then it was on to Longhorn's to have a big 'ole slab o' beef done MR & some of the Best Goddamned Sweetened Ice Tea I've ever had. It's funny how you miss the little things. I think our waitress thought I was a freak the way I was sucking it down & she didn't seem to care when my father explained to her that I never get Sweetened Iced Tea where I live. I marked it up to the fact that she's just blissfully ignorant. She's a Local. She's never lived in a land without Sweetened Ice Tea.

Paige's fiance, John, was able to join us for lunch. Very cool, indeed. Only the second time I've seen you, John; but I would suggest a little more PDA. I love to see my father squirm. I may be kidding. (BTW John, Thank You for the props. They do mean a lot to me. I hope I don't disappoint you!)

________________

Marissa has made a lot of progress. She is definitely communicating now. Because of her trach, she can't really speak; but she is mouthing words. That is HUGE. She knows something terrible has happened; but we're not sure that she fully understands. But that's OK for now. The fact that she can process any information at all is such a big step. Physically, she is also doing well. Her surgical team was able to close her amputation site & the big wound on her right leg without having to do any skin grafts. We are hoping that a reconstruction can be done on her lower right leg and it won't have to be amputated. She is going to lose her gall bladder; but that's minor considering. She sat up for 2 hours yesterday & actually held the phone in her good hand to listen to one of her friends speak to her.

Again, Thank You to everyone that has sent me emails regarding Marissa. I feel that I've been a complete slacker with posting; but my Internet availability has been limited. Hopefully, that won't be the case in a couple of weeks. Then you'll be offering me a lot of money to "Just Shut Up, Already!".

______________________

I have a lot of stuff I've written about being witness to a much-loved family member going through what happens "After". Much of it is still just too personal to publish right now. Given Marissa's progress; I am confident that she will be completely with us very soon. I have to think of that & what she would be comfortable reading. When she comes to terms and gives her OK; I will publish it.

_____________________

I didn't write about this when it happened because I didn't think it was appropriate to talk about at the time; but it was very cool. Marissa was flown to Walter Reed on Sunday after Thanksgiving from Germany and was still in pretty bad shape the next weekend. Our family was about 12 strong on that Saturday. Stevie Nicks & Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac came in that day to visit injured soldiers. One of Marissa's doctors told them that they had a young girl that had just come in that was in pretty bad shape & that she had a lot of family there. Nicks & Fleetwood asked if it would be OK to meet with her family before they visited the other soldiers.

They spent about an hour with us in the Family Room. They were so completely awesome; I can't describe. Apparently, they have been visiting injured soldiers & their families at Walter Reed since the war began. Fleetwood Mac is and has been my favorite group since I was 15. Under any other circumstances, I would have been a blubbering idiot fan standing face-to-face with Stevie for the 10 minutes I had her to myself. As it was; she was asking me very pointed questions about Marissa and her condition and how our family was holding up. She told me that if there was anything we needed; to let her know. Mick was just as awesome with his words to us.

They both wrote notes for Marissa for when she can read them. They listened to all of us talk; grieve. Even Marissa's friend from high school who wasn't really sure who Fleetwood Mac was (Sacrilege!).

_____________________

OK, I have to sleep. Because I really haven't in the last few weeks. And now I'm in my parents house for a few days and it's very condusive to sleeping. Meaning, I'm at home now under Daddy & Mom's watch & nothing can get me here. No monsters in the closet.

peace

Comments:
It is great that you are with your family. I hope that you enjoy your time with them.

I hope Marissa is not scared emotionally, I hope that she heals well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?