Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The only thing I can think about right now is the tragedy brought onto so many people by Hurricane Katrina. As I'm sure is true with all of you; I have watched the news footage coming out of the areas affected with a very heavy heart. Right now I'm sitting at my computer in my comfortable air-conditioned house about to start a load of laundry. Then I'll go to the kitchen and grab something to eat. Because I can. And it makes me feel relief and guilt at the same time. Relief that myself and all the people I love are safe and sound. Guilt that there are 10's of thousands of people wandering through flooded streets right now with nothing but the clothes on their backs not knowing where to go. Right this minute. In America. I would have never believed that there would come a time when we would be refering to some of our own as "refugees". I feel the same way I did after 9/11. The feeling you have when you just can't seem to wrap your brain around something.

__________________________

The best we can do is to Donate, Donate, Donate. Whether it is your time, your money, or food/clothes. Everything will help. In my experience, the Red Cross is the best route to go. I rode out Hurricane Hugo in Charleston & Hurricanes Louis & Marilyn in St. Croix. The majority of the help I received came through the Red Cross.

_________________________

If you are in the area, Ramparts is doing a fundraiser to aid the hurricane victims next Thursday. 7pm-11pm. There will be a $10 cover charge; 100% of which will go to the Red Cross. 10% of our sales will also be donated to the Red Cross. We will be working out the rest of the details over the next couple of days. There will be music & I'm sure several raffles & silent auctions. Several of the restaurants & bars associated with iwantmynatstv.com will be doing fundraisers in the coming weeks as well. Check out the site for details from participating businesses.

I'll be on the bar next Thursday until 7pm at which time I'll switch to the other side. Introduce yourself & I'll treat you to a cocktail.

_________________________

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?