Friday, May 13, 2005



I need a cocktail. No; seriously. I NEED a COCKTAIL!

I mean, I serve you people drinks all day. What's a girl gotta do to get a little reciprocation?? Do I have to go to a bar? That doesn't seem fair. Someone should be serving me cocktails right here in my house!

And let's take a look at the word "Cocktail". I don't know where it came from. How it was derived. I've known a few pricks in my time; but none of them had a tail (I'm thinking Satan).

___________________

Ok. I looked it up. There are a lot of stories. My two favorites come from Here. As follows:


"Betsy, a barmaid in a tavern in Hall's Corners, NY, served Betsy's Bracers. During the Revolutionary War, American & French soldiers frequented it. American soldiers stole some male pheasants from the British & a wild party was had. While drinking they toasted to Betsy's drink "Here's to the divine liquor which is as delicious to the palate, as the cock's tails are beautiful to the eye." To which a French officer replied, "Vive le cocktail!". There is reference to a Betsy Flanagan. Who knows which Betsy, was Betsy Flanagan. One story goes something along the lines of decorating the out side of a glass with a tail feather from a rooster. Some say that this is where Washington and his officers frequented. Washington wore feathers in his hat, and one of his officers toasted to "the cock's tail". (Well, you wouldn't really want to drink "macaronis" today, would you?)



There is another tavern also In NY that claims it was the original. The tavern keeper used his witty stories, and daughter's beauty to gain favor with good patrons. The daughter, Peggy mixed a powerful concoction which recipe was held secret. She was in love with a sailor. Upon his return with a promotion, and a prized fighting cock, named Lightning, he asked for her hand. In their honeymoon bed, Lightning crowed, and shook loose a tail feather, which she put in his concoction that she had made. She said, "Lightning names this drink! Drink this cocktail, sir, to your success with my father, and as a pledge to our future happiness!" This was a sign of good fortune & they used the sign of the tail feather on their tavern emblem for many years to come.
A drink called "cock's ale" was served in early colonial times during cock fights. It was a mixture of ale into which a sack of a par-boiled chicken, raisons, mace and brown sugar was placed. This was left to ferment for about nine days."

______________________



Cool stories, but; whatever. Grand Marnier right here straight away please!

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?