Thursday, May 12, 2005

"How was your move?"

A question asked of me today by a friend I've been playing tag with, well, forever. (Miss You!) My move was surreal; for lack of a better word. Now, I have moved ALOT and have always done it myself with help from my friends, and more often than not; DAD. (Cecil, I know you have to have had flashbacks every now & again.)

So, since my last move 4 years ago was too fresh in my memory; I decided to hire movers. I'm a bartender. I have contacts. I can get anything done. Anything from a free oil change to getting someone knocked off. (How sad is THAT?)

I use one of my connections & he sets up the whole thing for me. $370 bucks to move me lock, stock, & loaded barrel. I was amazed. I had made some phone calls & had been quoted some pretty crazy prices (in my opinion). I called "Two Guys & a Truck" thinking: "They're 2 guys with a truck. How much can it be?". $145/hour with a 4 hour minimum. I envision myself tracking down the poor mover guy trying to get his penis out to take a pee with me screaming, "Hold it in, Dude! You've got boxes to move! Time is money!".

I commit to my "friends friend" & think everything is just going to be perfect. I'm packing like a madman. I am going to make this incredibly easy for the movers. EVERYTHING will be in a box. And I won't be cruel by packing heavy stuff in big boxes. I'll use smaller boxes. My friend had asked me how many boxes I may have & I said, "Hmmmmm.....30!" I had no fucking clue how many boxes I would have. I had been quoted a flat rate & wasn't even thinking about it. I just didn't want any of the movers to get a hernia; so I packed light.

Turns out I have 68 boxes worth of stuff. I know this because Head Mover Guy counted as soon as he got to my apartment. And informed me that each additional box over 30 is $3 a box. And the fact that all my stuff is going into a storage unit on the 3rd floor of the storage unit place is going to cost 15% of the whole per floor multiplied by PI subtracting the life expectancy of a gnat and blah, blah, blah. Who the fuck knows what he was saying. I just know that I had been packing forever & just wanted it OVER. I have cloudy memories of just holding out my wallet & saying, "Just take what I owe you."

I paid just under $700. And was told by Head Mover Guy that he gave me a BIG break because I was a friend of D. Uh-huh. I no longer see D as a connection. He has lost all priveleges. You live & learn, I suppose.

I do have to say that it was cool not having to actually lift anything. And I had rented a 10 x10 climate control space. ($200/month in the DC area, FYI. OMG. I'm so in the wrong business.) They packed it solid. I can't get one more thing in it. Had it been me packing it; I would have had to rent a second one. So, I quess it was a half decent experience all-in-all.

___________________

I'm still learning my way around this computer that is so much more way cool than mine. I've just never worked with a laptop before. That has so much more power than my PC does. I actually feel like that "Power" chick named Kimberly! And my name is really Kimberly! There's some sick symmetry there; I'm sure.

peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?