Friday, March 18, 2005

Yeah, I survived Thursday.

And let me tell you; it was no small feat. Surely, someone out there knows. How often does St. Patrick's Day & the start of the NCAA Tournament coincide? There were people knocking on the door at 10:45am (we open at 11am). And the first games started at 12:20pm. These people came early so that they could vie for position. That kills me. The portion of the restaurant I work in (there are 3 sections) has a 22-seat bar & 10 large tables (4 to 8 seat). There are 19 TV's in the room. All 30+ inch, a big screen, and a few big plasma's thrown in for good measure. We have Direct TV with the "March Madness Package" so we're showing everything. There are 4 games going at any given time. So, at least 2 of the TV's are showing the same game. And there's not a bad seat in the house.

With that said; it made me laugh watching some of these guys pick their seats. I mean, they're gonna be there for the next 12 hours; so I suppose they want to make sure that they infiltrate the Feng Shui of the room JUST SO. Their team may lose if they don't.

Anyway, I did commit one "I'm-in-charge-of-the-remote" faux pas. I meant to change the channel on TVs 3 & 9 and inadvertently changed the channel on TVS 4 & 10. It was deafening: "WHOA!! What the Hell just happened?? Who changed the channel?? I missed that last shot!!" I apologized and agreed that I was the rudest girl in the room. Then I looked around & realized that I was the ONLY girl in the room. With about 45 screaming men. My job's not so bad.

And then today. I was getting phone calls at 10am with guys wanting to reserve certain tables. One of their teams won yesterday BECAUSE they were sitting at THAT particular table. I'm not one to deny superstition. Personally, I don't walk under ladders, step on cracks, and I ALWAYS hold my arms in the air when I drive over a train-track. (I'm a good Knee-Driver.)

In case you're wondering: Yes; these men have jobs. But they have taken days off just to watch the Tournament. I can just see it: "Um, sorry Bob; but I won't be here for the next few days to close that million dollar deal. I, um, feel a cold coming on.".

No matter how their teams are doing; the guys are always gracious to me. Bottom line: I have the remotes AND the alcohol. I'm the most popular person in the room this time of year. Forgive me if I revel.

peace

Comments:
glad to hear you made it out alright. things went well here, too.
The Irish pub across the street from us opened at 6:00 am for breakfast (which they do only on St. Patricks), and they went on a wait list at 6:45. They never went off the wait until about 11 pm. Their kitchen manager and bar manager each worked 20 hour days. We had the same deal. We open at 11 am, were on a wait immediately, and when the kitchen closed at 11 pm, there were still people on the wait. Our staff is much bigger, so I didn't have to work a 20 hour day, but it was rough nonetheless.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?