Monday, March 14, 2005



When I started dating; I was really into "Bad Boys". Now, that's not to say that I liked guys that did bad things (Steal 6-packs, cars, what have you). I liked guys that LOOKED like they might could do bad things; but they didn't. In the late 70's; that meant that they had long hair (I LOVED long hair) and that I-don't-give-a-fuck swagger. And if he had a motorcycle? OMG! I once dated a guy in high school just because he looked like Tom Petty. Tom Petty wasn't all that cute, but; damn! Didn't he just look like he could knock over a Gas Station? Mark looked just like him. AND he didn't do bad things. Perfect for me.

Fortunately, it wasn't that hard to find a long-haired-swagger-having-motorcycle-riding-law-abiding-educated man in the late 70's/early 80's. For some reason, all that changed when I was about 26. I started dating an Air Force Pilot. Short hair, no swagger, no motorcycle; but he was a Thrill-Seeker. A "Bad Boy" on a different spectrum. Skydiving, BASE jumping, Rappeling; stuff like that. We lived together for a while. We may have stayed together had he not had to move when he left the Air Force & went with NorthWest. I actually was going to go with him; but that's a whole other story.

So, with my new-found likeness for short-haired professional men; I move on to Michael. A guy who had just finished the MIBS program at USC. Undergrad in Geology. He was working at Savannah River Plant. He had done his work-study in Cairo. Learned to speak Arabic in 6 weeks. Just plain fascinating. For about 3 months. After that; even his good looks could not get me pass the stories about rocks & soil contamination. It's all he ever talked about. Granted; he taught me how to play a good game of Chess. But even that has a time and a place.

I find myself in St. Croix about a year later & find myself back at Square One. I meet Bryan. Bryan was 6'3" with hair down to his waist. Brooding. Gorgeous hair. Girls: Don't you just hate it when a guy has nicer hair than you do? I would braid his hair for him before he went to work & just marvel at how beautiful it was. Anyway, he was the Landscape Manager at the resort I bartended for. Very smart guy. Lots of business savvy. The house he had bought for 37,000$ had been heavily damaged by Hurricane Hugo. He did all the re-construction himself finding every single loop-hole as far as importing materials. So, I'm back to a long-haired guy. And Brooding has replaced the Swagger. That lasted about a year.

Then I meet Chris. Short hair. Very quiet. Undergrad in English. Wants to be a lawyer to follow in his father's footsteps. The most unassuming guy in the world. And he plays Rugby! I love Rugby. The most violent legal sport. I immediately fall in love with him. I moved back to the States with him. Unfortunately, I couldn't see myself any farther north than DC when he decided to go to Law School in Boston. It's really cold in Boston.

__________________

So, I've been on the same path ever since. Unassuming guys who have a little bit of a wild side. And that's been OK with me. I mark it up to being older & wiser now. Can I find one that can hold my interest for more than a couple/three years? I don't know. I've been engaged 4 times. My father once made a joke that I should have a T-shirt that reads, "Born to Be Engaged". I just could never take that final walk. I think I'm still looking for that "Bad Boy" that meets all my criteria. I don't even know what got me on this. There was that one guy that came into my bar today with LONG blonde hair. He's taking a sabbatical for a year & is looking for people to travel with to do some diving, kayaking, hiking, etc. Much like The Mighty Jimbo. (You should go check out his pics, by the way.)

__________________

I send much love to everyone that's sent me nice thoughts these past few days. I'm doing great! Medical Technology IS a great thing. You take a pill for a few days & you're fine.

___________________

St. Pat's is Thursday. Get your Green On! And if you sit at my bar; be kind. If you're not; well, I warned you.

peace

Comments:
I have always heard that women like bad boys, but that is usually from complaining boring men. I think women, as well as men, want someone to be exciting and they can be exciting in different ways.

Glad you are doing better. Hope you find that interesting guy someday.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?