Saturday, March 19, 2005

I've already admitted to being a Procrastinator.

And I think I've managed to perfect the art. I like to think of it as being my own little way of expressing my creativity.

I'm taking down my Christmas tree today. Mainly because, really; a Christmas tree should never be left up after March 19th. I read that somewhere I think. As all good Procrastinator's do; I have a very good excuse for why my tree is still up. (It doesn't still have decorations on it, for God's sake! That would be, well; tacky.) I took the box out back at the beginning of January with good intentions. I was going to break it down and pack it away that very day. The cat's discovered the box, crawled in to sleep, and have pretty much been right there ever since. And a sleeping cat is the most perfect cat. Not getting into anything; and in the case of my Siamese, being quiet. Seriously, at least one of them is in there at all times. Every time I go to put the tree away, I see them sleeping in there & think, "That is so CUTE! I'll let it stay just one more day." Well, it's just ridiculous now; ya know, with Spring almost here and all. So today is the day. I am the Master right? Right? They'll get over it.

******

My father just called. I told him I was writing about just now taking my tree down. He related a story to me that now has me convinced that my "X-mas Tree Procrastination" is genetic. (See what I mean? We always have an excuse.) My father worked for General Services for the State of SC as an Engineer with the State Engineer's Office for 40 years. There are alot of little things that need to be done that all states do; but don't actually fall under any specific department. These things are just kind of assigned to people to make sure they get done. This particular assignment to my father was the taking down of the Christmas tree in front of the State House. Early 80's. Now, my Dad was a busy man. Renovating State buildings, stuff like that. I'm sure the Christmas tree thing was low on the "To Do" list. So, by February, the tree was still up. Noone complained or anything, but apparently someone noticed. The House of Representatives of the State of South Carolina actually passed a resolution that if the Christmas tree continued to stand; it would be decorated with Valentines. No lie. It's on the books. How freakin' funny is that? So now when someone shakes their head at me in disgust when I admit that, yes, my tree stayed up 'til March, I can say, "It's not my fault! There was the whole cat thing & besides; it's genetic! It's in my blood!". Thanks, Dad, for sharing that story. Love ya!

________________

So, when my Dad called, he said, "I was just thinking about you." He teased me with the fact that he had just gone to Sikes to pick up BBQ. I love BBQ. Sikes has the best BBQ in the world. He told me that he was listening to an old Willie Nelson tape & it reminded him of me. Because, when he would come to pick me up at college a hundred years ago to bring me home for the w'end, this was the tape he would listen to. He would put it in when he left home & it would end as he was getting into Florence. (My first school was Francis Marion.)

I remember those times when he would pick me up from school. I was kinda pissed off that my parents didn't allow me to take my car to school my freshman year. I was always incredibly happy to see my Dad; but I would have liked to have had my car there so that I could come & go as I pleased. It was an issue quickly forgotten when I was allowed to take my car to school the next year. And I've never thought about it since.

Listening to my Dad just now made me happy that I didn't have my car that first year. If I had, he wouldn't have been picking me up listening to Willie Nelson & now 20 years later he would not have been calling me just to tell me how listening to that old tape reminded him of me. How cool is THAT? I talk to my Dad all the time; but I feel especially special right now.

_____________

Ya'll have a great w'end!

peace

Comments:
Yeah, Dad's and their daughters, yeah.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?