Monday, December 13, 2004

So, this guy introduced himself to me at my bar today during Happy Hour. Said he hadn't been in there for awhile & was curious about me because he'd never seen me there before. Obviously, since I'm new there, alot of people have been introducing themselves. I took special notice of this guy. Very cute & very nice. And I did something I NEVER do. After I traded off the bar to the next bartender, I sat down & had a drink with him. We're having a great conversation. Into his third beer; I'm noticing he's not sounding like that Electrical Engineer born & raised in DC working at Lockheed that he presented himself to be. He's sounding more like maybe an electrician from Dallas working a government contract here in DC. And, BY GOD, that's what he is! (I cheated a little. I didn't really GUESS that. He eventually told me that after some prodding.) Now, I wouldn't have cared. It just pissed me off that he presented himself to be something he wasn't. I guess had I met him anywhere else; I could have passed myself off as a Chemical Engineer. I mean; if I want to get REALLY technical; that is what I'm doing.

Anyway, him losing his precise enunciations & "I've-got-a-rod-up-my-back" demeanor wasn't what chased me away. (I still had half a beer left.) Everyone in this town fudges a little. What really got to me was (although we had established the fact he is only a couple of years older than me) that he kept starting sentences with "I don't want to date myself; but....". Men: Please take note. Do not start sentences that way around a woman your age. Because when you say that; you are also dating HER. And unlike me, (who wouldn't have taken offense had it not been combined with all the other chit) she may not like it. I'm just sayin'.

peace

Comments:
or if WE are all just plain old bullshiters (sometimes)then he has already adapted, no? Maybe he just picked the WRONG time to bullshit or was that a white lie he told?
 
the stars at night
are big and bright
deep in the heart of texas

my friend who was in special forces said one of the things they used to do was have to go into town and pretend to bs and be engineers or business people and other bs, because one of their jobs, of course, is to go into foreign countries as civilians and merge with the population whilst going on tourism missions at day and taking pictures of bridges and important tactical targets, etc.

girls on the other hand just are mostly airheady.
 
i'm put off by the "i don't want to date myself..." schtick only because who cares about it? unless he's a lot more than a few years older than you and was lying about that, too. what's shameful about age? i mean, maybe i don't like being 29, but i'm not backing off blogging about memories of playing my sister's duran duran records & applying bonnie bell peel-off nail polish, etc.

~erin
http://thesugarlick.blogspot.com
 
and the word of the day seems to be:

liars
 
I was going to post a comment but I think that you've gotten enough...............

Sixty-nine yrs. old and damned proud of it ! !

C.... :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?