Saturday, November 20, 2004

*SIGH*

I am saddened by the fact that the second biggest sports story today so far (Detroit/Indiana being #1) is the blowup that occured on the field during the Clemson/Carolina game. Even though I am a staunch Clemson fan; I will be the first to say that both sides were at fault. Although; I'm surprised this is the first time it's happened. Having been bitter rivals for, something like, 100 years; this particular face-off carries unbelievable tension from the moment you arrive at the stadium. With my Dad & Uncle both being graduates (Dad was there when it was a Military College), I grew up in a Clemson household & attended countless home games until I left SC. We would always kind of cruise through the season always looking forward to who would wind up with the bragging rights from what is always the last game. To put this rivalry in perspective for you; until (& I think it was Tennesee?) the first mega college stadium was built with over 100,000 seats; the Clemson/Carolina game in Clemson held the national record for attendance at a college game with 84,000 +. In a town with a population of roughly 12,000. And there was a time during Danny Ford's years there that EVERY home game came close to that record.

I talked to my sister a couple of hours after the game, and she said that it was actually calm amongst the fans until the players took to the field.

Clemson's stadium is in a valley. Hence the nickname "Death Valley". One end of the stadium is a grassy hill where fans buy space & literally sit on the grass during the game. In the center at the top of the hill is a pedestal with a rock from the actual Death Valley on it. One of Clemson's biggest football traditions is that all the players take to the field by running down the hill with each one touching the rock for good luck. They continue to run across the field to the other side where the bench is. Every college has their own traditions; and as a courtesy, visiting teams respect them. Just as their traditions are respected when they are the home team.

I recall during a C/C game maybe 15 years ago that Carolina actually entered the field at the same time we were running down the hill. And I may be wrong; but I think that's the only time that has happened until today. At that game; they just ran on, but didn't try to interfere with the Clemson players doing what they normally do. My sister told me that today; they not only ran onto the field early; but stood at the bottom of the hill and tried to prevent Clemson from passing. Carolina has the tradition of running out of "The Tunnel" at Williams-Brice stadium. I can't even imagine what would happen if we ever tried to prevent them from doing that. In either case; Paige said that action just set the tone for the game.

At this point, I want to give kudos to every single other team that we play in Clemson. No other team has ever shown as much disrespect as Carolina did today by that move. They have all stood back to our traditions just as we do to theirs when visiting their home turf. Most Clemson fans consider Florida State our main rival since they joined the ACC. Our record against them is not very good; but it is always a pleasure to host them. Their players & fans alike always show good sportsmanship. I think I've had as many before & after game cocktails with Florida State fans as I've had with my own family at those games.

I don't want to sound like I'm pointing fingers & saying, "Well, THEY started it!". Even though their actions set the tone for the game; the reality is that we were right there throwing punches with the rest of them. Paige told me that some Clemson fans were even throwing things onto the field. That is inexcusable.

I feel sorry for Lou Holtz. This was the last game of his career. And this is how his players sent him off. (Hey Spurrier!! Look what you're getting into!!) Anyway, it's just sad, sad, sad. Frank Howard is rolling over in his grave. Danny Ford is poppin' in some chew & just shaking his head.

And Paige: I am very proud of you for not getting into a "Discussion" with anyone cheering for the other team! (My sister is a fan on a couple levels higher than I am. She has a Clemson tiger paw tattoo on her shoulder blade & a little gold tiger paw hanging from her belly ring. She's been known to have "Discussions" with Carolina fans in the past.) God love her!!

I'm watching the Fla/Fla State game right now & just look at them!!! Huge rivals deep into the second with the underdog winning & everyone's being nice!! Just the way it should be. And if you're one of those people that LIKE seeing chit like the D/I game last night & what happened today; you should just be watching WWF. Because that kind of behavior doesn't have a place in any other sport. See? That Seminole just helped that Gator stand up!

________________





peace


Comments:
If the hamster is truly dead than you can hold a funeral:

http://maktaaq.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_maktaaq_archive.html

(scroll all the way to the bottom)

Apparently this hamster didn't come back from the dead to haunt anyone, but it is always a possibility.
 
Listen Scarlett.
You know if you and I were there we'd be throwin punches, sluggin chins and whoopin all dem behineys. Oh yes. Youre just sad you missed out.
Scarlett loves a good melee.
Yes she does.
 
Hamsters hibernate during cooler weather and appear dead. I raised hamsters when in Jr. Hi-School and almost disposed of some live hamsters that I thought were dead.

C.... :-)
 
http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/scarlett.html
 
Don't waste any tears over Lou Holtz. He instigated the brawl when he sent his players over to block the hill. And, he was happy that the brawl distracted from the poorly-coached team he put on the field to play ball. The man has lost five out of the last six Clemson-Carolina games, and after last year's 63-17 disaster, he knew he would be retired if he lost this one. He just added to Carolina's tradition of losing during his six years there. 0-11 the first year should have prepared the fans, but they couldn't get past the "living legend" title bestowed on him. Besides, this is a school that expects to lose. They've never won a major bowl game (have been to very few), and their fans are the most obnoxious in college football. They're poor winners and poor losers, which causes all those "discussions" other fans end up having with them. :)
 
This is the second time I can recall Clemson having national attention over something like this. There was an incident back in the late 80s or early 90s, when Danny Ford was still the coach, when a player from the opposing team ran a play out of bounds on the Clemson side of the field. I can't remember what started it, but the whole Clemson bench started pounding the guy. I can't remember which team it was. Maybe Wake Forest.

As a Clemson fan I'm deeply embarassed no matter who started it.
 
I believe it was a bowl game with Ohio State when Woody Hayes was coach. Hayes punched one of our guys as well.
 
Oh yeah... Do you remember the "Wipe Woody" toilet paper that came out after that?
 
PG = point guard
SG = shooting guard
C = center
SF = small forward
PF = power forward

pg is like a quarterback
c is like a running back
sg should be a real good shooter

despite knowing tons about football
i am still trying to learn basketball

and still am stupidly clueless about baseball
 
hi scarlett!!!
 
Good design!
[url=http://qfphwvnc.com/zsbq/lhdp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://pnjcexln.com/evzo/rpqn.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Great work!
My homepage | Please visit
 
Nice site!
http://qfphwvnc.com/zsbq/lhdp.html | http://zlxfjxqs.com/mwov/rgme.html
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?