Friday, October 01, 2004

I love my Braves, but....

...my friend, Rhino, has a very compelling argument. I personally DO think that football should be considered the national past time. Come on; we couldn't even send a baseball team to the Olympics! And thank you darlin' for gracing my pages!!! (I condone all your degenerate thoughts!)

Rhino says:

***It seems our lovely and talented host has demand that I write a post for her blog. This being said, who am I to refuse such a request from a lovely lady? I figured since it is the season I would write about football and let you all discuss amongst yourselves the legitimacy of my writings. I am sure Ms. Scarlet will post a disclaimer that my views do not reflect hers or that she condones such degenerate thoughts such as my own.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a trend around the country. I believe it has actually been going on now for quite sometime and should be officially noted, so as John Fitzgerald Kennedy said, "If not me, who, if not now, when?"

The trend I am talking about is the shift of the national past time from Baseball to Football. I believe football has been the undisputed champ now for quite sometime, but never really had the transfer of title, only of power. You may think this is a brash and bold statement here people, but I say I am only speaking the truth and have evidence to support my ramblings.

America is a wide collection of various people or various backgrounds and who have various tastes. That being said, football has a lot to offer every man, woman, and child. The NFL isn't the same every year with only a handful of teams repetitively dominating the landscape. The NFL changes the schedule to equal out and give balance to the previous years winners and losers, making sure every team has an opportunity to make improvements. Where in the world is fairness and opportunity not thrown out more by the citizenry of a country than here in good old USA?

The ability for self improvement and the ability for any team to win on a given day or to get to the playoffs or the Super Bowl makes Americans turn the TV on to football time and time again. You think I am crazy? 2 years ago Monday Night Football had one of it's worst ratings ever and it still beat out a World Series game 5 by over 5 points-which is huge in TV land. Football is a fast paced, hard hitting game, which demands team work. Unlike
baseball, one guy can't win you a game. The QB can't do it alone, although Mike Vick is pretty close, neither can a Linebacker, Receiver, DB, or any other position. Now, I know some of you all say the kicker, well shit, does he not have 9 guys blocking and a guy holding the ball for him? Any of those
guys screw up, well you have seen what happens when one person loses focus. Americans like team work, most of us do it every day at the office, plant, or wherever we go for a couple of hours.

Americans like the fact that those guys move on the fly and don't have a chance to take their sweet time. In football a game can be won or lost in a play going start to finish in less than 10 seconds. It takes a batter over 10 seconds to get ready once he is in the box at the plate. Baseball is slow paced, which is not a bad thing, but who gets to just sit around at work and
do nothing besides politicians, which if you notice throw the first ball out at baseball games. You usually have ex players or someone who busted ass do a coin toss at the start of a football game. There is also more wear and tear in football, these guys get knocked around and get right back up, like most of us. Football players also seem more like normal people. Not saying
they don't make money, but not even close to the huge contracts the baseball guys have. I don't think the top 3 guys in football combined make what A-Rod did on his contract, I may be wrong, but not by much. Also, the baseball guys like to walk around like perfect people. Football players, please, to be a great one, you have to have made mistakes and owned up to them Farve,
LT, Jim Brown, and so on, have all screwed up, but came out and took their punishments like men and got even more fans for it.

Football is America's game and America's past time. Baseball just needs to move out of the way. Sorry, but everything has a time and a purpose, baseball as the National Sport of the US is over.



Comments:
Love your quote for today. I also enjoyed Rhino's post and totally agree with him.
C.... :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?