Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Are you asking me or telling me?

Disclaimer: I have close friends from India. I am intrigued by India. I plan to visit there one day. The following is not intended to be a slight to India.

I was having a conversation with my dad about customer service. We were talking about different companies & their approach to customer service. Dad was telling me how he called tech support for a piece of his hardware & was sure the guy was being very helpful; but he couldn't tell because the guy was in India; and he could never tell during the conversation (because of the accent) if the guy was making a statement or asking him a question. YEAH! I lost my hard-drive a couple years ago due to a virus & had to re-format. Took me 2 phone calls (8 hours combined) to do this. Because Dell uses techs in India. And that is one of two foreign accents that I just don't have an ear for (the other being German). When I moved to St. Croix, it took me a year to completely understand what the Cruzans were saying to me. They speak a mix of Creole/Patwa & tend to accent different syllables. It's all basically English; just not the way I was used to hearing it. Anyway, when I was trying to re-format; the conversation basically went:

Dell Tech: I want you to hit "Delete" until I tell you to stop?

Poor Scarlett: You do?

Dell Tech: Yes? You should hit "Delete" until I tell you to stop?

Poor Scarlett: I guess I should. What do you think?

And it went on like that. The accent is such that everything he said sounded like a question. His voice did that upward lilt thing. Every single thing he said. Fortunately; I had alot of time to kill, he was very nice, & eventually I got my computer back up.

I saw a great funk band tonight at Southside in Alexandria. M & R Project. Unfortunately; the game ran long & they only got one set in. It was totally worth the wait. If you're in the Alexandria/Arlington/DC area & get the chance; check them out.

Lastly, I am 5-1!!! I can't believe I won this last weekend by 1.5 fantasy points. Thank you sweet Daunte for the 5 TD passes!! Again!! I'm second place in the league by just 2 points. (I see you Sunshine!)

peace

Comments:
Right on. I finally figured out how Asians speak. They just don't stop at the end of sentences. They just blow through whole paragraphs without stopping. No stop signs in that part of the world I quess.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?