Friday, September 24, 2004

Hah!!! I was right all along.....

Ok, this was Monday. I was supposed to pick him up to go to dinner. (And, yes, I'm still seeing him. I know, I know. I'm an idiot. I just can't help myself. I love him. What more can I say?) The restaurant was a mile from his place, and since I was going to stay there that night; it just made more sense for me to drive there as opposed to him picking me up & having to fight traffic in the am to bring me home going in the opposite direction of his work. ANYWAY....I'm thinking 15 mins. tops to get there. So after I sit in ONE F'ING SPOT for 15 mins. watching various emergency vehicles go pass me; I make a u-turn & try an alternate route which gets me there in about 30 mins. All said; it took me about an hour to make a 15 min. drive. And have I mentioned that I hate to drive? I live 5 mins. from where I work. I basically plan my career around short driving times. So I walk through the door crawling out of my skin & the first thing he says to me (because he KNOWS me) is, "Sweetheart, patience is a virtue." Oh, you poor mis-guided soul. Patience is not a fucking virtue, because if it was, I would have it. Because I am incredibly virtuous! (I got over it. Dinner was great, sex was great, 13 min. drive home next morning was, well, great.)

Patience, by definition, is "the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient". Patient, by definition, is "1. bearing pain or trials without complaint, 2. showing self-control". So, actually, the saying should be, "Suffering is a virtue". And by the way; I did a little research. The saying, "Patience is a virtue" came from Ambrose Bierce' "The Devil's Dictionary" (1911) which says, "Patience, n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a virtue". Key being DISGUISED as a virtue. Tell the truth. All the times in your day-to-day life that you "think" you're being patient; are you not actually suffering? Standing in line at the bank at noon on a Friday with only one teller; are you being patient or are you suffering?

Thanks for letting me vent. I guess you can just bill me. I may or may not pay. Checks in the mail. Just be patient.

I'm deeming Thursday's the day I bitch about quotes that drive me crazy. Be there or be square.

Peace

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?