Sunday, August 08, 2004

Well... you definitely got my attention.

I read something somewhere by somebody about when someone accidently spits in your face. It was written as an observation about this thing that happens to everyone at least once in their life; and how we handle it. Maybe it was a Dave Barry column. I think it was. In either case; the gist of the story was how we ignore embarrassing things when they happen. Specifically, being spit in the face..by accident. Happened to me tonight. A very nice man is just telling me how he likes his martini; and some spit flies out of his mouth onto my cheek. Not alot. Just a little. But enough for me to feel it hit & enough for him to know he hit me. We immediately lock eyes. He's not going to apologize because he's in denial and he doesn't want to embarrass himself further. I'm not going to wipe it away because I'm in denial and I don't want to embarrass him further. So he goes into slow motion describing how he would like his martini while I'm slow motion nodding while we're doing this "Jedi" mind thing how neither one of us are going to acknowledge his spit is hanging on my face. We play this game for about 3 minutes. And if I had known him; I would have just said, "What the fuck? You just spit on me!"

We all have so much to say about all the important stuff. We debate strangers on the street about AIDS, World Hunger, abuse of all kinds. Don't you think it's insane you can't just say, "You just spit on me, dude!" because you don't want to 'embarrass' someone? I'm sorry. I seem to be having reality checks every 15 minutes. Does that mean I'm all grown up now?

Peace


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?