Friday, August 13, 2004

On a clear day; you can see forever.

...unless you have your hands over your eyes.

This guy sat at my bar tonight & told me that he had just moved here from Nebraska. He's been here for two weeks waiting to start a job that's going to last 3 years. He's all pissed off because "there's nothing to do in this town!". He's in the nation's capital & he can't find anything to do. It makes me question what is considered a "good time" in Nebraska. (I'm getting more than my fair share of education on other states this week.) I mean, besides all that history stuff, and the Mall, & the fact we're only 2nd on the eastern seaboard for night-life; what the fuck do you wanna do? It reminds me of a time....I lived in St. Croix for 4 years managing a dive shop & bartending at a resort. I was in the dive shop one day when a cruzan(native) guy walked in. He's looking at all the underwater pictures on the wall & asks me, "Where these pictures from?". I told him they were taken about a 100 yards off-shore. He says, "No shit! The things in these pictures are out There?". I remember thinking how incredibly sad it was that I had given up my job, put everything I had in storage, & left my friends and family to move to an 87 square mile island so that I could do REALLY good diving AND someone born & raised there didn't even know what was right under his nose.

Situation reversed, I know. It just reminded me......


Peace

Comments:
Most people take their surroundings for granted. It always amazes me what my friends from out of town notice about my city when they come to visit that I may have missed.
 
Well outs where me and my fellow Nebraskans are from, we play chicken with these John Deere tractors and then this one time Kevin Bacon did it to the song HERO yeah and hoooeeey those were good times!
 
well, I don't have anything against Nebraskan boys PER SE. I mean, I like you & my dentist. Who went to the University there & I allowed him to do about $5,000 worth of work on my teeth. (At half the cost of course, cause I send him alot of business. Everything really IS a trade-off.) :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?