Saturday, August 21, 2004

Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?

Praise the Lord! My cable was back on when I woke up this morning. It was almost as good of a feeling as having breakfast served in bed by that cute neighbor guy....nevermind. That hasn't actually happened. Imagination running. Anyway, I call cable company to let them know that it's back on. The guy says, "So would you like to cancel the repair appointment we have set up for you on Sunday?" I say, "Well, I don't know. Is the tech cute?" To which he says, "Miss O'hara, we take sexual harassment very seriously here." Dude, I'm just answering your stupid quesiton with a silly question. Tit for Tat. Relax, OK?

First time I flew after 9/11, I went home to visit my parents. I breeze through security at National Airport like nobodies business. Apparently, I used up all my good airport karma there.
Coming back, I'm very accomodating with all the taking off of the shoes, arms out for the "wand" once-over, etc. Put my shoes back on & am surprised I'm still waiting for my stuff to come off the x-ray belt. I see it come out but then it's grabbed and put back on again. And again. And then my carry-on is set aside, but my purse goes back through. Security #1 calls over Security #2 for a look-see. He apparently concurs & they call me over to the table. "Miss O'hara, before we go through your bag, is there anything in here that may be considered a weapon?" (Well, I could cut that tampon in two, stick the pieces up your nose, clamp my hand over your mouth & smother you to death.) "No Sir. Not that I know of." He pulls out everything from my purse & THERE IT IS!! My wine key!!! (I got through the security at National with this WMD) He tells me that he's going to have to confiscate it. He gives me a visual by pulling out the corkscrew portion & says, "Now, you probably couldn't do much with this, (pulls out the 3/4 " KNIFE) but this could really hurt someone!" I say, "True. And if I could get someone to stand still for 30 minutes while I hack away at them with it; I might could really do some damage!" "Miss O'hara, security is no laughing matter." I can see that. You're not laughing even a little bit. Relax, OK? So much for trying to loosen up a tense person. And it kinda pissed me off that I HAD thought about how tight the security may be. I made a point of making sure my nail clippers, eye brow tweezers, nail file, etc. were in my checked bags. I didn't even think about the wine key. I've been carrying a wine key in my purse for years. Not so much for that "wine-key-emergency" that actually happens more than you would think; but just so I don't find myself without one at work. I would like to say "Lesson Learned", but I've had a wine key in my purse everytime I've flown since, & it hasn't been noticed. I did miss a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale last year cause of a pair of kid's craft scissors in my carry-on. Ended up going through Pittsburgh instead of Charlotte to get back to DC. Had never been to Pittsburgh before. Nice airport.

Hey! I got cable back!!

Peace



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?