Monday, May 31, 2004

Rolling Thunder!!!!!

God, I missed you guys!!!!

I love working Memorial weekend. It means that I get to see some of my favorite people that seek me out when they come to this town for this GREAT event. Every year for six years, I've had the pleasure of hosting INCREDIBLE men & women from all over the nation that come to DC once a year for Rolling Thunder. If you're not familiar, I'll put it in a nutshell (although, it's so much more). These people ride their motorcycles through DC every year (500,000 + projected for this year) to bring awareness to POW's & MIA's. Also for veteran's rights.
I have to say that it is the happiest time of the year for me. There are always protests, marches, sit-ins, in DC, but this is the one thing that I totally wrap my heart around. It's one of the few cause's that I can trully believe in. I wish that I was more prolific in my writing to convey what this time means to me.

My favorite group of guys that check in with me this Memorial weekend: They always start in San Diego on the Sunday before. They ride all week til they get to DC on the Saturday before Memorial Day. They wait until 5:30 then they burst into my bar yelling "Mistress Scarlett!! We are back again!!" I have several groups of people that come to see me this time every year, but these guys are my favorites! (YO! COOTCH! who loves ya baby!!!) They were all in the trenches together during Viet Nam. I mean, they weren't officers...they were literally in the trenches. I can't even imagine what these guys went through, but if you could see them now. And it's like that with everyone here. The emotion is so thick; I just don't have any words.

Suffice it to say, this is just another time in my life when I count my lucky stars. I am incredibly lucky to know these people. Obviously because of what they've been through, but also because these are the people that make me put my life in perspective. Our problems are so small when you put them up against people that have suffered the crazy, stupid indignities that we can't even imagine. I feel lame because I can't come up with the words to describe how much I love these people.

Thank you Cootch, Madman Dave, Mike, Scary, Love, Rick, & Lost Boy....You guys always make me feel my heart.:)

Comments:
ahhh...motorcycles in good ole d.c. where's your bar? adams morgan? glad to see you enjoyed your memorial day!
-poc
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?